Feb 17, 2010

Wedding Reception Dances

Posted by Brian Williams Photography

The first couple of dances that take place at a reception are traditionally the "first dance" and the "father of the bride dance". A great way to shoot these is to back light them. You can use a light that is already present if you are lucky enough to have one in the right place or you can use a small speed light.

_BDW5212
In this first example, I put an SB800 on a light stand. You can actually see the glare I got, but it works in this image. By shooting at a fast shutter speed, I knocked the ambient light down and made a very dramatic, beautiful picture.


firstdance
In this photo, there was not a good place to set up a light stand so I had my assistant hold a monopod which had a flash connected to it. That light gives me a very nice rim of light on the back of the brides hair and dress and rims out the grooms face so you can see his features.

I love how this technique really separates the couple from everything else that is going on and makes it feel like an even more magical moment!

0 comments: